I have used a program under linux called gpart.

Not great if you think you have physical issues with the drive, but wonderful it it's just a trashed partition table.

Another trick is to boot up with another, much large drive, and DD the first drive to a file on the large drive, and then use gpart on the file.

I used that to recover two OS2 partitions (JFS and HPFS) remotely a few years ago.

                        Harry

Julian Zottl wrote:

Hey all,
I have a client that just brought me a PC with a HD that appears to have no
partitions on it (It shows up unallocated in XP). This was definitely a
bootable volume previously.

What program is best now'a'days to take a look and see if the data is
recoverable?  Unfortunately, the only info I have is that it suddenly stopped
working :/
TIA,
Julian
Julian Zottl
CTO, Radiant Network Technology, LLC
Getting ahead in the tech sector isn't about kissing butt ... you gotta sniff
the right packets