I have a server, but have not yet established a domain. So, I suppose my server is not yet my "domain controller." And, by default I do not have a WINS server either on this LAN.

I spent the entire day trying to read a WindShark scan from yesterday (4.4K). Completely comprehending what I see make take that rest of time....4me... :)

It does seen that everybody on my LAN is chronically clueless about who else is about...... :)
(and my one XP machine seems to be the most clueless.....)
Lots of "who is" calls and client broadcasts about "here I are."

It seems to me that if I create a LMHOSTS file that defines all my LAN folk there won't be so much apparent confusion. I can say that stuff happens even without the LMHOSTS file, but maybe I can
make "stuff" a bit easier with it.  Right or Wrong?

Is the LMHOSTS file safe from peeking/sneaking/malware probes? It is a sort of LAN road map as
I read it.
Best,