Well playback, ripping, and recording of dvds can be done easily on a PC as
long as you have a DVD-ReWritable drive and the necessary software. Now days
these drives start at $30.

Music can be handled by software like Itunes, Windows Media Player, Media
Monkey, Winamp, etc. If you are going to use a nice receiver for audio you
might look for a motherboard or soundcard with an optical or coaxial SPDIF
output.

You didn't mention which satellite dish system you are using??

Technically a feed from something like DirectTV and Dish Network can't be
decoded by anything other than their own receivers because the streams use a
proprietary encryption. Since you must use their receiver to decode the signal,
you could get by using any method that would allow input from an analog video
(s-video, composite, or coaxial) + audio source into the PC. This could be a
PCI, USB, or Firewire capture/tuner card from the likes of Hauppauge, ATI,
Avermedia, etc.
Check this link on newegg.com for some ideas
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=47

In order to decode the signal straight from a satellite dish you would need a
DVB-S card. These DVB-S cards are mostly intended for use with FTA
(Free-to-Air) broadcasts. TwinHan is probably the most popular manufacturer of
this type of product at the moment.
(http://www.twinhan.com/product_satellite.asp) - - I know some people have had
some success in getting DVB-S cards to decode streams from DTV and Bev/Dish but
I dont think you'll get any help with this on the list. Not publicly at least
:)

Since I'm not doing any recording from my Dish Network sat receiver in my home,
I just use a Slingbox so I can watch and control my sat receiver from any PC in
the house.  The three problems with a Slingbox is that only one computer at a
time is allowed to log in,  the picture quality is not stellar since it is
being transcoded and streamed, and the slingbox software doesn't let you
capture the stream. I think the latter problem can solved with 3rd party
software though.

If I had not already built my own HTPC or felt I needed something that was wife
proof, I would be much more likely to go with something like an AppleTV (<$200
on fleebay), modded Xbox, or one of the other UPNP media devices available from
D-link, Linksys, Netgear, etc. With something like this you can stream media
(music, video, online radio) stored on your pc to a set-top box that is made to
just play media files and nothing else. On the other hand these devices are
meant for playback on a TV which may not fit what you are looking for...

uh hrmm... ever consider replacing your existing monitor with a LCD TV and a
Tivo??? :)

-Tharin O.

K Humrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Hello everyone!

I am working on changing my room with all new speakers, tuner/DVD, and a PC
Card for Satellite TV..  Well everything needed to allow me to run the line
in from the Satellite dish, and be able to play TV/Music/DvD on my PC OR on
my TV, and use a PC card so I can store everything on my PC's harddrive,
write things I like to DvD's and so on..

<snip>