nLite has it's place when making custom install XP
CD's.

Autopatcher was quite good and is not dead but rather
they've been forced to
change tack by scripting the downloads (to come direct
from M$ servers) needed
to create the packages. Right now it looks like the
downloader has some issues
with stalling and I would not be surprised if M$ is
causing that on purpose.

Personally I still start with the AP August 2007 core
if I reinstall or patch a
system because it's just that much less I have to
download.

I'll have to look into this other patcher but I think
they made themselves known
on the AP forums & were brushed aside.

Mesdaq, Ali wrote:
> I would 2nd not using 3rd party tools for this kind
of stuff unless its
> a up to business par. I worked for a company who was
the pioneer of
> windows patch management and trust me its a VERY
hard thing to do right
> I would be very hesitant to trust some free tool.
But if you could
> install with a xp sp2 install then connect to your
own internal WSUS
> server for updates post install patching could go
from 2hrs to 20min.

> One cool tool I found and actually used was nLite.
Anyone else here use
> that before? I only used it once but worked good
that one time. But I
> can't really vouch for it as a tool to run your
business on but if
> anyone wants to play with it and let us know what
you think I would love
> to hear.
>
> Thanks,
> Ali Mesdaq (CISSP, GIAC-GREM)
> Security Researcher II
> Websense Security Labs
> http://www.WebsenseSecurityLabs.com

Behalf Of Greg Sevart
> Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:48 AM
> To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
> Subject: Re: [H] Offline Windows Updater
>
> Thane,
>
> I'm actually kinda surprised you don't just run an
internal WSUS server
> for in-house patching. I've always preferred it over
third party tools.
> Sure, it still requires multiple reboots, but at
least pulling updates
> is nearly instantaneous. After a couple botched
systems caused by
> Autopatcher, I just don't trust those tools to get
the dependencies
> right.
>
> It doesn't help much "in the field" so to speak, but
could certainly