Totally doable if you use a INF instead of a REG to do
the patching so you have
a control over setting or reverting the settings by
simply changing the
parameters of the call to the INF.

Initiate the setup call the INF install with
GUIRunOnce in WINNT.SIF. As to how
to automatically detect when all updates are installed
I'm stumped but removing
is as simple as calling the same command with a
different section.

"To invoke the INF

Add a line to $OEM$\Cmdlines.txt to invoke the INF you
created from the sysdff
difference file. The command is of the same form as
you would use to invoke any
Windows 95-style INF. The format is as follows:

"RUNDLL32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction section
128 inf"

where:

Section specifies the name of the section in the INF
file. Inf specifies the
name of the INF file. This should be specified as a
relative path to avoid
invoking Setup's default INF rules, which look for an
unqualified filename in
the system inf directory instead of the current
directory. For example, specify
..\newtools.inf, not just newtools.inf.

The command is always enclosed in double quotation
marks. "

Mesdaq, Ali wrote:
> Greg your the Man! Thanks for the reg key info and
the "wuaclt
> /detectnow" info. I remember there was a command
line way to force it to
> check but too lazy to look for it. So you answered
my laziness for me.

> I think a combination of nLite customized xp install
to include
> something's in the install like perl or whatever
scripting language can
> really automate this whole process so the computer
keeps checking for
> updates on start up until there are none left and
deletes itself and
> changes reg keys back to normal.
>
> Thanks,
> Ali Mesdaq (CISSP, GIAC-GREM)
> Security Researcher II
> Websense Security Labs
> http://www.WebsenseSecurityLabs.com

Behalf Of Greg Sevart
> Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 11:23 AM
> To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
> Subject: Re: [H] Offline Windows Updater
>
> Some other useful notes:
>
> "net stop wuauserv" stops the Automatic Updates (AU)
service so it will
> pick up the new config. Change to start, obviously,
to restart it.

> "wuauclt /detectnow" forces AU to detect if updates
are needed
> immediately.
>
> c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log provides a verbose log
file of AU activity.