As I've discussed on here before, I'm running a RAID 5 array on my HTPC.
Just last week I added a 4th 1 TB drive to bring the total usable space to
just under 3 TB.  But I'm quickly venturing into unknown territory and I
wanted to see if there was anything I should be on the lookout for from
those of you who have had arrays that big before.

Right now I have it as one single 3 TB volume mounted under windows (32-bit
Vista to be exact).   followed the directions in the Areca manual (as well
as located
here<ftp://ftp.areca.com.tw/RaidCards/Documents/Manual_Spec/Software/Over2TB_080612.zip>)
for enabling greater than 2TB access when I originally built the array.  I
used the LBA64 method.  But I noticed when I went to install Acronis Disk
Manager it gave me the following warning:

"Acronis Disk Director Suite has detected unsupported hard disk drives.
Acronis Disk Director Suite does not support Windows Dynamic Disks,
EZ-Drives, etc.Acronis Disk Director Suite will not be able to access these
hard disk drives"

When I brought it up it saw all the drives and partitions on the system
except for the 3 TB RAID array.  I was able to see the array under the Disk
Management snap-in under Administrator Tools and used that to expand it from
2 TB to 2.8 TB when I added the new drive.  It lists it as a "basic, simple,
NTFS, primary partition".

My concern is that I've done something which means I will only be able to
access this array when it's attached to a Windows machine.  Could that be
true?  Are there other "gotchas" I should be on the lookout for?

Also, I've been reading some articles and papers lately about concerns on
RAID 5 arrays, specifically that when a single drive fails they take so long
to rebuild that there's a good chance another drive will fail before the
rebuild is complete, meaning you lose everything.  I'm considering switching
it to RAID 6 which is tolerate to 2 failures.  Any thoughts on that?  Right
now I have no other backup for the data outside of the array.

Brian Weeden
Technical Consultant
Secure World Foundation <http://www.secureworldfoundtion.org>
+1 (514) 466-2756 Canada