thanks! Forgot to mention that I'm using XP Media Center. I have decided to get an external unit, probably a higher-end unit like the ULN-2 http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/mio/uln2/
if I can afford the thing.

Now, how would I switch between the two sound cards if I want to go from gaming to listening to audio? Is it as simple as switching settings in "Sound and Audio Devices" in the Control Panel? Each sound card will have it's own dedicated amp/speaker setup so no plugging/unplugging would be necessary.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Tomporowski" <didym...@gmail.com>
To: <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 04:14
Subject: Re: [H] Getting a second audiophile sound card - external?

Some M-Audio boards have issues with being the 2nd card under certain
operating systems.  For example I have an Audiophile 2496 and it will
not work as the 2nd card under MCE.  So, I'd give their tech support a
call and see if there are any issues.  I hope the ProFire has better
drivers because M-Audio admits that at least the Audiophile 2496,
which admittedly is an old card, has 3rd party developed drivers,
M-Audio having given up development at some point.

Steve