Not all UPS have two batteries. I have a old APC 900VA = 500watts that uses a single 12 volt battery. A gas cloud explosion is extremely unlikely, particularly in a ventilated room. I have had two 850 Cold Cranking Amp car batteries ... a Motocraft and a Interstate that have been sitting in my office for years. At times I have had/used them in my bedroom. They are hooked up to a solar trickle charger and I use them with an invertor whenever something like a wild fire kills the power for an extended period of time. I have never had a problem. I live in a area where the windows are always open and most of the time I have a fan running to combat humidity.