After picking up some scrap hardware, most notably a couple of E8400's, I've got a bunch of stuff to build a NAS.

For software, I want something that will give me some sort of parity, so that I can replace a dead drive without loosing stuff and the ability to add storage without doing a nuke and reinstall. I looked at FreeNAS, but that's a pain to increase storage, but then noticed UnRaid (I think it's been mentioned here before), which seems to fit the bill.

Anyone familiar with UnRaid --- good/bad points --- or is there some other software I missed? Free is to be preferred, but UnRaid seems to be worth the extra $70.

Thanks...Steve