I've been using whs2011+flexraid.  Whs2011 can be found for $29. I paid $39 for
flexraid.

I currently have 48tb online and performance has been really solid

-----Original Message-----
From: "Steve Tomporowski" <didym...@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎11/‎11/‎2013 5:40 PM
To: "hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com" <hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: [H]  NAS Software

After picking up some scrap hardware, most notably a couple of E8400's,
I've got a bunch of stuff to build a NAS.

For software, I want something that will give me some sort of parity, so
that I can replace a dead drive without loosing stuff and the ability to
add storage without doing a nuke and reinstall.  I looked at FreeNAS,
but that's a pain to increase storage, but then noticed UnRaid (I think
it's been mentioned here before), which seems to fit the bill.

Anyone familiar with UnRaid --- good/bad points --- or is there some
other software I missed?  Free is to be preferred, but UnRaid seems to
be worth the extra $70.

Thanks...Steve