All good points, Alex, except for the cost.  A Synology system would cost
me $500 to $800 without disks and limit me in number of disks.  Right now I
have disks & a system, the only cost would be the software.  As it is, I
can't find WHS2011 for less than $49.99 (where'd you find it for $29.99,
Chris?), adding flexraid would be another $80.00.  Or go with Unraid for
$70.00 (or free if I limit myself to 3 disks).

Does Synology do an array of differing size disks?

Steve