From: hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of James Maki
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 4:26 PM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] Three Monitor Mania!

Several years ago I purchased a HIS H675F1GD Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-Bit
GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with
Eyefinity. At the time, I was just running two monitors off the HDMI and DVI
ports. I recently wanted to add our HDTV to the mix, but the 3rd port is a
DisplayPort. As a short cut, I added a second video card (a Radeon, but of a
different version). Things worked but later I noticed that the Catalyst
software was not working and I could not upgrade the drivers. I assumed it
was because of the two different Radeon versions.

So I went in search of a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter cable. Found it was not
easy or straight forward. There were active and passive converters. Some
worked for some people, other people felt Eyefinity was a disaster and
running three monitors (where one of them WAS NOT a DisplayPort equipped
monitor) was not possible. I took a chance and purchased an Active
converter. It arrived and, of course, it DID NOT work.

So, I seem to have four options: 1) Purchase a new monitor (too expensive
and I already have the monitor), 2) Purchase another HD 6750 video card
(which don't seem to be easily available - being old), 3) purchase a new
video card that DOES do 3 monitors, NONE of which is a DisplayPort Monitor,
or 4) Purchase 2 identical new cards.

So, I am looking for firsthand experience with people who have successfully
run a setup with 3 or more monitors (with DVI or HDMI inputs). When you read
the forums you see lots of people saying "I heard it CAN be done,"  but few
that have actually accomplished the task. I read that there are nVidia cards
that can do 4 monitors (but only 3 in a "surround" environment and the 4th
as a ???). So, suggestions?

I appreciate the input and suggestions. This has been such a frustration
experience for what should be a simple task.

Jim Maki
jwm_maill...@comcast.net