At 01:23 PM 5/10/2014, you wrote:
Microsoft changed the name from Service Pack to Update 1.

not really... windows 8 went to version 8.1 and it ships now as version 8.1. Recently Windows 8.1 just had it's recent <Update> without a number... nothing else.. just Update. the press referees to it as Update 1. MS has specifically said it is NOT an all inclusive service pack type update, and it was reported that MS has indicated that there will be another one of these <Updates> in August but who knows. It is also reported that MS has indicated that their is no plans on any all inclusive service pack type update. I think, with 8.1, MS wants to be able to control this dynamically which forces all users to update online as needed.

If Windows 8 / 8.1 / 8.1-Update 1 is similar to Win 7, then go to the Control Panel and select SYSTEM and it should show what version you are running.

Regards,
Mike