Currently running a core i5-3750K with 32GB of RAM on my main machine,
which I use for both work and gaming.

Been looking to replace it for several months now, but have held off in
part because of all the vulnerabilities that keep turning up in modern CPUs
(Meltdown, Spectre, and all their variants). The thing is, my existing CPU
is old enough that it doesn't support any of the mitigations, so I'm
actually less secure now than if I bought a new CPU that at least had
mitigations against the vulns (even if the new CPUs that actually fix them
are 6-12 months away).

So first question is, is the time right to go do this now?

Second question is, Intel or AMD? Is one better off than the other from a
security standpoint that's worth taking into consideration?

---------
Brian