Winter, that is exactly the situation I'm in and the question I'm asking. I
have not applied any patches to my system because a) they're only partially
effective and b) they have a performance hit.

So I'm trying to see if it makes sense to upgrade to a new machine now, or
whether I should stick it out for another several months (year?) to see if
Intel or AMD rolls out something that actually fixes the underlying
problems.

---------
Brian