> On May 23, 2020, at 8:26 PM, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Khaled Hosny <dr.khaled.ho...@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 20:09:50 +0200
>> Cc: harfbuzz@lists.freedesktop.org
>>
>> Overall, if you can’t send the whole text (words are the absolute minimum,
>> but this has its issues as well), don’t just send arbitrary parts of it as
>> the result will be some inconsistent mess.
>
> I almost understand (and agree), sans one part: the "arbitrary parts"
> of what you wrote.  If we want to produce a ligature out of "ffi", the
> shaper will get "fii" and nothing more.  Which part here is arbitrary?

Sending “ffi” alone is an arbitrary decision. The font might have kerning
between “ffi” and what comes before and after it, but you won’t get it. The
font might not hav a ligature for “ffi” at all, but using kerning instead, so
you will get kerning between “ffi” glyphs and not other glyphs which is
arbitrary. It might be a cursive font that changes glyph shapes based on
surrounding glyphs, and you will get that for “ffi” and not elsewhere which is
arbitrary.

That is just plain wrong, there is no way around it.