It was requested that I post the answers to the query about the Cynthia
Ozick story. The consensus seems to be that the name of the story is "The
Laughter of Akiva" to be found in an Ozick anthology.
The best answer was the following from our wonderful colleague Esther Nussbaum:

Ozick's short story, "The Laughter of Akiva" was published in The New
Yorker in November 1980 ('81?).  it was supposed to be included in an
anthology called, I think, Levitation   but wasn't because Ozick was sued
for libel by the Westchester community she depicted and was enjoined, I
believe, from republishing it. Instead, it was "morphed" into The Cannibal
Galaxy as someone has already noted. Both the short story and the novel are
great reads!
Esther Nussbaum

My library owns "The Cannibal Galaxy" so my patron checked it out and was
satisfied.  He did remember reading the short story however, so I suggested
he visit Abigail Yasgur at the fabulous Jewish Community Library of Los
Angeles where she might have the anthology.

Sincerely.
Enid Sperber
Temple Israel of Hollywood Synagogue and Day School
7300 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90046
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AJL HomePage                  http://www.JewishLibraries.org