1. A short note to June Cummins:
As far as I know, the Modern Language Association, like the
Association of Jewish Studies, meets in northern cities in mid-winter,
and this is why they get such a good hotel rate.
We pondered the possibility of meeting in winter and it was voted down.
May be we should reopen the debate.

2. As to the question: who are those 20% of our members who attend every
convention.
We don't have firm data, but I would venture to say that there is a core of
10-15%
who attend every convention, and then another 10% who attend only when the
convention
is held in proximity to their home towns.

Aviva Astrinsky