Dear Angela-

First, if you find a software system that offers all you are looking
for at "a small price tag", do let us all know!!

But seriously, you will find systems that offer you the ability to
acquire MARC records from other sources, so you don't have to do all
the cataloging yourself.  The software I use, Surpass, has a module
called Copycat that allows me to easily upload free records from the
Library of Congress. Records from a long list of other libraries can
also be accessed, but at an additional subscription cost.

However, in my experience, uploaded MARC records still must be edited
to fit our library.  I supply the call number (we use the Weine
classification system for Judaic libraries).  I also supply or edit
the book blurb (MARC field 520) as well as add or change subject
headings to suit our library. (For example, our Judaic library does
not refer to the Bible as the Old Testament.)

Good luck!

Liz

Elizabeth Edelglass
Library Director