stuff, and library rules

Recently a few of the communications on Hasafran have collided into
each other in my head and having done so, have become topics of my
weekly discussiones on SKYPE with my mentor and best girl-friend,
Heidi Estrin. Nowthat we are in the High Holiday Musing Season, I
wish to take a moment to muse.  If anyone else has fuzzy-logic
librarianship musings to share, I would be interested in reading them
on or off the list.

First off, on the list there is always a lot of chatter about
copyright laws, their traditions and their norms. Such chatter always
makes me imagine freshly landed fishes flapping about in buckets on
the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. Maybe I imagine this because the next
AJL Convention will be in L.A. Maybe not.
.
Second off, JSTOR just opened up an Early Journal Content site which
states that the Swartz/Maxwell controversy had nothing to do with the
new site. This pricked up my bunny ears, having never heard of either
Swartz or Maxwell or the related controversy. So. I went off into the
internet and looked for the "controversy". This is what I
found:http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/07/swartz-supporter-dumps-18592-jstor-docs-on-the-pirate-bay.ars
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110912/10132515906/jstor-freely-releases-public-domain-papers-that-greg-maxwell-already-freed.shtml

Finally,  just a short while ago someone brought up "The Ten Year
Rule", as being a curious rule related to the weeding of books.
Though the Ten-year Rule didn't ring any bells, (nor am I sure I
agree that books have little time bombs in them, i.e., if the book
isnt worth anything now, it probably wasn't worth anything 10 years
ago anyways...), Heidi did remember something called S. R.
Ranganathan's "Five Laws of Library Science". I'm going to
cross-stitch it, frame it and hang it on the wall:

1.Books are for use.
2.Every reader his book.
3.Every book its reader.
4.Save the time of the reader.
5.The library is a growing organism.

Shana tova u'metuka filled with health, health and health, the rest
will take care of itself
Besos de Valencia
Alba
**************************
Alba Toscano, presª
Sinagoga conservador La Javurá
calle Uruguay 59, pta 13
46007 Valencia (España)
http://www.uscj.org/world/valencia
http://www.lajavura.org
Skype: albatoscanovalencia
Blog de Bitacora de los Viajes con La Javurá
658 721 769
lajav...@lajavura.org