We have a small group of shelves in our library available for selling
used books.  We sell all hardcovers for $1 and paperbacks for $.50 --
only rarely charge more if a book is especially valuable.  Our goal
is not to get rich off these sales nor to bring in "market value" of
each book, but to find homes for the books, move them our of our
space, and make a small bit of money in the process.

Sadly, I do throw out some books from donations -- such as textbooks
(which don't sell well at all) and anything that smells moldy.

We also have a public library in town that runs a used bookstore -- I
sometimes give them our overflow, but they accept only harcovers and
also not textbooks.  Again, sadly, I sometimes do discard mass market
paperbacks, if they are in poor condition and have sat on my sale
shelf for a long time with no interest.  I know that shelters and
hospitals might be interested in some of our overflow or discards,
but I just don't always have the time to research who wants what and
make the deliveries -- perhaps you have a volunteer who might do this?

Last, but definitely not least, it is important for you to consider
writing up an acquisition policy that defines what types of materials
are suitable for your collection and that definitely includes
language about who has the final say as to what will be added to the
collection (in our case, that is me, the Library Director).  This is
out fall-back protection if anyone questions why their donated books
were not added to the collection.

If anyone asks me first, before anonymously dropping off donations, I
always say that I will accept a SMALL donation (1 or 2 bags or boxes)
in GOOD conidition, as long as I have permission to sell whatever we
don't need for the collection.  People rarely object to this.

Liz

Elizabeth Edelglass
Library Director
Jewish Community Library