Thank you all for your many responses! Just to keep you all informed, I did
receive a number of interesting ones:

There is equipment sold by library vendors that convert VHS to DVD which is not
too expensive. If there are a lot of them to convert to the new format, it
might be worth investing. The DVD will only be as good as the VHS. I did this
project here several years ago. Some of the tapes had bad tracking and static
but most came out well are still being used.
According to "fair use" in Title 17, copying to DVD is perfectly legal as long
as the VHS is then discarded. One replaces the other for purposes of
preservation and convenience but not to duplicate.

I haven't done it yet, but I have been inspired by how some people are using
old books to create tables, chairs, archways and art work. I'm thinking of
doing the same with the books, VHS and cassettes that we have. I thought it
would be a fun community project.

Jewish Prisoners Services International (JPSI) in Seattle  used to accept
videos with Jewish content.  Contact them to see if they still do:
http://jpsi.org/

We created a list and offered them free to our faculty. - after they had first
choice (and many were happy to have them), we packed them up and brought them
to Goodwill.  ....we had offered them to so many organizations, - but to no
avail -  no one was interested.  We also toyed with converting them to CD's -
but too timely, then copyright issues, etc. I think Goodwill has a very diverse
customer base.  ....not all people buy them for personal use.  - many would buy
and then re-sell....you never know!

I am reformatting the VHS that are needed by our teachers into DVDs but due to
copyright law, you MUST keep the original.  So we are keeping a lot of the VHS
as required.

To answer your question -  we are keeping them.  For a lot of the items the
only copy we have is the VHS, so we obviously don't want to get rid of them...
But we do have a TV with a VCR here in the library so people can view them.