Thank you so much for posting it, Gail!

The idea of creating a digital archive for Jewish bookstores came up in the
Selling Jewish Books panel (thank you for organizing it, Michelle Chesner!)
during the conference (again, thank-you to the organizing committee, it was
remarkable!).

The idea crossed my mind a few months ago when I cleaned up my office and I had
a draft email ready to go with the following points (see below); Arthur Kiron
had similar thoughts. It will be nice to have a few articles on Jewish
bookstores in Judaica Librarianship (one essay will be published in JL 19), but
a digital archive that all of us can contribute to will make a beautiful
collaborative project that may also evolve into a grant proposal on behalf of
AJL to include Jewish publishing houses.

Here's what I had in that draft note:

*         The work of Michael Winship (U of Texas in Austin) on American
bookstores

*         Highland, Kristen Doyle. 2016. "In the Bookstore: The Houses of
Appleton and Book Cultures in Antebellum New York City." Book History 19 (1):
214-255.

*         Hagit Cohen's book (2005) At the bookseller's shop: the Jewish book
trade in Eastern Europe at the end of the nineteenth century

*         The Book Shook records (Magnes Museum), OCLC #227005467

*         Weiss Family papers, OCLC #861796256

*         Books Merkaz (Seattle, WA),
http://archiveswest.orbiscascade.org/ark:/80444/xv98779/op=fstyle.aspx?t=k&q=WAUBooksMercazSeattleWash3817%2f<http://archiveswest.orbiscascade.org/ark:/80444/xv98779/op=fstyle.aspx?t=k&q=WAUBooksMercazSeattleWash3817/>

Thanks,
Rachel

Rachel Leket-Mor, MA, MLIS
Arizona State University Library