Last night, I got the very sad, shocking news that Arielle Sokol, a former
colleague in the Near East Division, Area Programs in the Graduate Library
at the University of Michigan and AJL member, recently passed away, a most
untimely passing.

For about five years, Arielle assisted me in developing and cataloging
materials in the Judaica collections of the Judaica unit and Jewish
Heritage Collection (in the Special Collections Library).  Arielle was a
very hard worker who was self-directed and loved the work, especially in
the JHC, which is both a print and object collection.  She wanted nothing
more than to get a permanent position working with Judaica in special
collections and/or archives as a librarian or archivist after she had
completed her Masters in Information Science at U-M.  After graduation and
finishing up her job in the Library, Arielle moved to Colorado and worked
primarily in the field of music for which she had a special talent.

I received the news from a fellow participant in Itsik Mager's *"Purim
shpil"* in which Arielle and I and several others performed a few years ago
in the Ann Arbor Jewish Community Center.  She had a beautiful singing
voice and was a gifted musician.  I was planning to call her just a couple
of days ago. We had spoken and did a Google Meet a few months ago.  How sad
to not be able to share that experience with her ever again.

As fellow New Yorkers, we also both shared a passion for the New York
Yankees.  She once told me how she attended a game at Fenway Park, home of
the archrival Boston Red Sox, and got her brother and his girlfriend to
wear Yankee regalia in that very hostile anti-Yankee environment!  Even
when I attended games there many years ago, I was very subtle about my
Yankee fandom, so I admire her bold, somewhat "crazy" actions in the enemy
den!  But one thing anyone who knew her can attest to, Arielle was never
reticent about her views!

More information from her friends and colleagues at the InterHarmony
International Music Festival where she was an Assistant the past two years:

InterHarmony International Music Festival | Facebook
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.facebook.com/groups/283344796483981/__;!!KGKeukY!2BxzawOPfuLONejf9P7Wz0ADPuaxGbx_Yy8FJgt3zcPv6-xcN1WLJ6lhXLl0kvdfnx5Pag98Vkn_MSk_n0iSRA$

Such a vibrant and unique personality taken from us much too soon.  May her
memory be for a blessing.

In sorrow,
Elliot

*Elliot H. Gertel*  *עלע־הערש גערטל / אליהו־צבי גרטל*
*Irving M. Hermelin Curator Emeritus of Judaica*
*Member, ALA EMIERT Jewish Information Committee (2020-2022)*
*AJL-ALA Liaison, 2008-2020*
*The University of Michigan*
*Ann Arbor, Michigan*
*eger...@umich.edu* <eger...@umich.edu>