On Mon, 17 Jul 2017, '2+ wrote:

> am a python+csound guy who is always struggling in vain to setup haskell
> related things
> such as installing tidalcycles on my cheap linux machines
> and since am more into oscillators than samples
> and since i hate using jack that doesnt wanna work on many of my machines
> am almost making my mind to use csound-expression as my live-coding
> environment

I think I never used Csound with JACK thus I am pretty sure that Csound
works without.

> but it ain't clear whether it works without jack
> and my
> cabal install csound-expression
> on my chromebook-crouton-cli-extra
> resulted into:
>
> user error (The package 'csound-expression-typed' requires Cabal library
> version -any && >=1.22 but no suitable version is installed.
>
> my crouton is still debian-jessie
> maybe that's the prob
> but do you think it will go well if i upgrade

For Ubuntu there are Deb packages for newer versions of Cabal:
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/hvr/ghc/ubuntu

But you should be able to upgrade to a new version of cabal using:
    cabal install cabal-install-1.24.0.2

--

Read the whole topic here: Haskell Art:
http://lurk.org/r/topic/4LlnlASO2QhhrcwXfmk3vS