David Roundy wrote:

I think that sounds like a good idea (not doing a GUI just yet) but would
recommend that perhaps you could do something pretty impure in terms of
file or directory browsing.  That wouldn't involve going beyond the
standard libraries, but might give you some idea of the expressive power of
the languages in terms of IO actions.  I'm thinking something like a
recursive grep, or wc -l... except preferably a bit more tailored to the
sort of IO you'll have to do in your actual application.  I guess the trick
would be in finding something tough enough, since wc -l would be something
like a two-liner...

A one-liner:

main = interact (show . length . lines)

- Lyle Kopnicky