Ketil Malde wrote:
Do you really need that to search for movie titles?  At any rate, an
exact-match finite-map implementation is a good start - to get good
performance, you probably will need to use some kind of index to
reduce the amount of data to search exhaustively (all-against-all).

For text searching I think it is effective to use an index that
maps from words (so that looking up a word gives you all the movies
with that word in the title).
Gotcha. That's exactly the approach I've switched to. It is possible to miss titles, if words are misspelled, but it's unlikely that all words in the title will be misspelled, so you can at least narrow your search to titles that have at least one matching (non-trivial) word.

- Lyle