Ketil Malde wrote:
Lyle Kopnicky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

If you have some other metric other than prefix in mind for partial
matches, then things probably get a lot more complicated.  You're
probably looking at calculating minimum distances in some
feature-space, which calls for pretty sophisticated algorithms if
you need good performance.

Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm looking at doing. Looking at edit
distance.

Do you really need that to search for movie titles?  At any rate, an
exact-match finite-map implementation is a good start - to get good
performance, you probably will need to use some kind of index to
reduce the amount of data to search exhaustively (all-against-all).

For text searching I think it is effective to use an index that
maps from words (so that looking up a word gives you all the movies
with that word in the title).
-k
If you really need to do edit distance, perhaps something like
"Low Distortion Embeddings for Edit Distance"
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~rafail/PUBLIC/68.pdf
would help? This is just one of the first result from a search,
probably there are plenty of things out there.
Make up from any constant factors from your language choice
with advanced algorithms! (and any constant is getting
pretty small these days)

Brandon