Henning Thielemann wrote:
If this would be true, they would have switched to Modula II quickly ... I know that C programmers also like the concise/cryptic/inconsistent syntax.

It seems to me more than C programmers like to think they're cleaver because they can spend weeks building elaborate and complex low-level kludges to squeeze a few extra picoseconds out of the inner loop of a program to make it go just that bit faster. Trying to get such people to use Haskell seems fairly hopeless; you're so far from the hardware that you don't do such tricks.

(Of course, there are plenty of C programmers who use it for other reasons. It has the best compilers. It's the most portable. It can talk to the OS and to hardware directly. For embedded systems, it might be the only thing you've got. And so on...)