Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
Hello Richard,

Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 6:10:54 PM, you wrote:

because I was compiling my splitAt with -O2 optimisation as opposed
to the built-in version being compiled with -O. The extra optimisations
in -O2 are a new feature of GHC (and -O2 is slower to compile which is
why the built-in version doesn't use it, but that doesn't matter for the
shootout).

-O2 is very old ghc feature and i think that ghc base library is
compiled with -O2 - it's too obvious idea

In July 2007 -O2 was documented in GHC as making no difference to
the speed of programs :

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-July/029118.html

and from this thread

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2008-April/042155.html

it appears to be currently unused for splitAt.

I guess -O2 has however been around for a long time.

Richard.