Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
Hello Richard,

Yes it was just a plausible guess, but not contradicted by the experts.
And that was using the Windows version of GHC so other versions may
have better optimisation. I don't know how to check, maybe the experts
can illuminate the subject?

note that my letter was not contradicted too LOL

1. many experts just don't read this list due to its high traffic,
write into ghc-users instead

Good point. I have started a thread here

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2008-May/014742.html

2. ghc is too large system and no one know all its details. this
particular option may be set up 10 years ago and never
touched/studied by anyone since then. for example, i'm ghc performance
expert [to some degree], but i don't know anything about its build
system. all that i can tell is that ghc base library build times don't
prohibit use of -O2