On 23 Aug 2008, at 23:10, Tim Newsham wrote:

I guess I didn't express my point very clearly... That C programmers apparently don't realise that a type system that's sound will give them something -- i.e. their programmer won't ever segfault. I wonder when we try to advertise Haskell if we should be saying "we can give you programs that never segfault", instead of "we have a strong type system".

That would be overpromissing.  You can definitely get segfaults in
Haskell.  The obvious example being

 http://codepad.org/Q8cgS6x8

but many less contrived and more unexpected examples arise naturally
(unfortunately).

By the way, the Java camp has (correctly) been touting this argument for quite a while.

I'd be interested to see your other examples -- because that error is not happening in Haskell! You can't argue that Haskell doesn't give you no segfaults, because you can embed a C segfault within Haskell.

Bob