Steve Schafer wrote:
Version information and application icons are both stored in data
structures called "resources"; these are appended to the executable
portion of the application, inside the EXE file. There are a number of
predefined resource types, such as the aforementioned version info and
icon, which follow specific data formats, and you can also define custom
resources to store just about anything you want. (For example, in an
application I wrote recently, I used custom resources to embed a set of
TrueType fonts into the EXE.)

There are a gazillion resource editors available for modifying the
resources linked into an EXE; go to the Wikipedia page for a reasonable
starting point:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_(Windows)

Thanks for your input. I'm now playing with XN Resource Editor. Getting the version information to work correctly appears to be tricky, but everything else seems quite straight forward...