Taking this to haskell-cafe..

http://joyful.com/repos/darcs-sm/api-doc is a mashup of haddock, hoogle
and hscolour (and darcsweb, darcs-graph - see http://joyful.com/repos).

It's rough but quite useful - a few minutes here gave me a much better
understanding of the big picture of darcs code. By alternating shift &
enter in the contents pane I could browse quickly through all modules.

Improvement: one could do a lot of useful magic with javascript. But it
would be more powerful to improve the tools, eg I'd like if haddock had
frames/no-frames built in and hoogle could be made to work in either
case. I haven't had time to work on this, currently I hard-code the
target in hoogle and munge the haddock output slightly (see recent patch
in darcs-unstable).

As you say it would be great to keep improving this area and baking it
into our tools and infrastructure. Highly accessible and efficient docs
and code browsing tools help a lot!