that one day cabal will pass some --hoogle-extra flags or something to
haddock, but I've not yet decided how packages should specify where
they live - if you have any suggestions do let me know.

Will do.. I've yet to come to grips with cabal, still in makefile land as yet..

For your example page, its very nice. Perhaps, for the bottom left
Hoogle box, it would be easier if you used the code snipped:

Works well, thanks! I've also put it at the top of the haddock pane, so the third pane could be dropped ? Not sure which is better.