Henning Thielemann wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Simon Marlow wrote:

Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
Claus Reinke:
What do those folks working on parallel Haskell arrays think about the
sequential Haskell array baseline performance?

You won't like the answer. We are not happy with the existing array infrastructure and hence have our own. Roman recently extracted some of it as a standalone package:

  http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/vector

In the longer run, we would like to factor our library into DPH-specific code and general-purpose array library that you can use independent of DPH.

So we have two vector libraries, vector and uvector, which have a lot in common - they are both single-dimension array types that support unboxed instances and have list-like operations with fusion. They ought to be unified, really.

It's worse:
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/storablevector
 :-)

What *I* propose is that somebody [you see what I did there?] should sit down, take stock of all the multitudes of array libraries, what features they have, what obvious features they're missing, and think up a good API from scratch. Once we figure out what the best way to arrange all this stuff is, *then* we attack the problem of implementing it for real.

It seems lots of people have written really useful code, but we need to take a step back and look at the big picture here before writing any more of it.

IMHO, anyway...