On 22 Mar 2009, at 13:42, Colin Adams wrote:

After some time running it failed with:

To fully complete your installation and make python 2.5 the default,
please run

      sudo port install python_select
      sudo python_select python25

...The thing is that when I removed python_select and python, there remains
 $ /opt/local/bin/python --version
 Python 2.5.1
So your package somehow needs 2.5.2, which may be the culprit.

Which package? None of them are mine.

One of the packages you tried to install asked for this, in this list:

Just what it says on the wiki page:

sudo port install glade3 libglade2 gstreamer gst-plugins-base
gtksourceview cairo librsvg gtkglext firefox

Looking into your post:
--->  Cleaning python25
--->  Fetching py25-hashlib
--->  Attempting to fetch Python-2.5.2.tar.bz2 from
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.2/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for py25-hashlib
--->  Extracting py25-hashlib
--->  Configuring py25-hashlib
--->  Building py25-hashlib with target build
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
it is py25-hashlib that is the culprit.

I was able to install it. Then I got a later Python:
--->  Attempting to fetch Python-2.5.4.tar.bz2 from
http://arn.se.distfiles.macports.org/python25

The procedure followed was (do a 'sudo -s' so save writing:

First uninstall python25 and dependencies:
# port uninstall python25
---> Unable to uninstall python25 2.5.2_5+darwin_8, the following ports depend on it:
--->         py25-gobject
--->         py25-numeric
--->         gstreamer

# port uninstall gstrea...@0.10.19_0
--->  Deactivating gstreamer @0.10.19_0
--->  Uninstalling gstreamer @0.10.19_0

# port uninstall gstrea...@0.10.8_0
--->  Uninstalling gstreamer @0.10.8_0

# port uninstall py25-gobject
--->  Deactivating py25-gobject @2.14.2_0
--->  Uninstalling py25-gobject @2.14.2_0

# port uninstall py25-numeric
--->  Deactivating py25-numeric @24.2_1+macosx
--->  Uninstalling py25-numeric @24.2_1+macosx

# sudo port uninstall python25

Then I noticed there was an unregistered python - those seems to confuse MacPorts. OS move it:
# cd /opt/local/bin/
# mv python python1

Then I installed python_select and python25:

# port install python_select
--->  Fetching python_select
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for python_select
--->  Extracting python_select
--->  Configuring python_select
--->  Building python_select
--->  Staging python_select into destroot
--->  Installing python_select @0.2.1_0+darwin_9
--->  Activating python_select @0.2.1_0+darwin_9
--->  Cleaning python_select
bash-3.2# port install python25
--->  Fetching python25
--->  Attempting to fetch Python-2.5.4.tar.bz2 from
http://arn.se.distfiles.macports.org/python25
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for python25
--->  Extracting python25
--->  Applying patches to python25
--->  Configuring python25
--->  Building python25
--->  Staging python25 into destroot
--->  Installing python25 @2.5.4_0+darwin_9+macosx
--->  Activating python25 @2.5.4_0+darwin_9+macosx

To fully complete your installation and make python 2.5 the default, please run

        sudo port install python_select
        sudo python_select python25

--->  Cleaning python25

After that follow the instructions:

# sudo port install python_select
Skipping org.macports.activate (python_select +darwin_9) since this port is already active
--->  Cleaning python_select

# sudo python_select python25
Selecting version "python25" for python

And finally to py25-hashlib:

# port install py25-hashlib
Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
--->  Fetching openssl
--->  Attempting to fetch openssl-0.9.8j.tar.gz from
http://arn.se.distfiles.macports.org/openssl
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for openssl
--->  Extracting openssl
--->  Applying patches to openssl
--->  Configuring openssl
--->  Building openssl
--->  Staging openssl into destroot
--->  Installing openssl @0.9.8j_0
--->  Activating openssl @0.9.8j_0
Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/ share/man/man3/bn_print.3.gz already exists and does not belong to a registered port. Unable to activate port openssl.
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: openssl

So here I just remove the unregistered file:
# rm /opt/local/share/man/man3/bn_print.3.gz
# port activate openssl @0.9.8j_0
--->  Activating openssl @0.9.8j_0

So now it worked. Try py25-hashlib again:
# port install py25-hashlib
--->  Fetching py25-hashlib
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for py25-hashlib
--->  Extracting py25-hashlib
--->  Configuring py25-hashlib
--->  Building py25-hashlib
--->  Staging py25-hashlib into destroot
--->  Installing py25-hashlib @2.5.4_0
--->  Activating py25-hashlib @2.5.4_0
--->  Cleaning py25-hashlib

So now I git t installed. - I got beyond the point where you got stuck.

  Hans