Daniel Fischer wrote:
Am Sonntag 28 Februar 2010 13:23:11 schrieb Andrew Coppin:
Amusingly, I installed the GHC package, and then discovered that while
GHC runs, it won't compile anything. But if you (manually) install GCC
as well, *then* it works. (Isn't that the package manager's job? WTF?)

Wait, what?
That must be the first Linux in history which didn't have gcc installed from the beginning. How on earth did you manage to do that?

It's the default install of OpenSUSE 11.2. Nothing special there.

What *does* surprise me is that GCC isn't a dependency of the GHC package, given that GHC doesn't appear to work properly without it.

Anyway, I'm currently attempting to get cabal-install to work...
What's the problem?
Downloading the .tar.gz from hackage, unpacking it and running bootstrap.sh *should* get you a working cabal-install with minimum fuss.

No "problem", I just haven't finished it yet. Or at least, I hadn't when I posted that message; I've got it going now. Once GHC was actually working, the only additional thing I had to do was install zlib-devel.

It also puts the binary in a strange place, but I guess I can live with that...

Now, hypothetically, I should have a Linux Haskell system, so I can actually compile *anything* that's on Hackage.