On 05/03/2010 05:03, wren ng thornton wrote:
Simon Marlow wrote:
So it would be pretty easy to provide something like

disableMajorGC, enableMajorGC :: IO ()

Of course leaving it disabled too long could be bad, but that's your
responsibility.

It seems like it'd be preferable to have an interface like:

withMajorGCDisabled :: IO() -> IO()

or (for some definition of K):

withMajorGCDisabled :: (K -> IO()) -> IO()

Sure, my intention was that you'd build this with the primitives.

> in order to ensure that it always gets turned back on eventually. Of
> course, the latter can be created from the former pair. It's just that
> the former reminds me a bit much of explicit memory management and how
> difficult it is to balance the free()s...

quite!

Cheers,
        Simon