Alexander Solla wrote:

After all, the source is always structured in more-or-less the same way. Fragments of text with opaque -- unless/until you understand them -- combinators "join" two distinct concepts/types into functions. A chain of functions (potentially at various levels of abstraction) is a computation. You "use" these things by finding a chain of types (Start -> A), (A -> B), (B -> C), ... (N -> Goal) and composing, filling in additional details as necessary. Building that chain means doing depth first searches on a tree/graph of possibilities, and usually isn't so much fun. The library developer is in the best position to do exactly that, having already done it while constructing the library.

In Haskell even learning to use a library has an algebraic structure. ;^)

Actually, I was thinking just this afternoon... If you're writing in an OO language, you can use UML to produce diagrams that give you a kind of at-a-glance overview of the saliant parts of something. (Depending on how much detail you choose to include in the diagram.) I wander if anybody has a standardised notation that might be applicable to FP in general or Haskell specifically...