On 10/23/10 7:52 PM, wren ng thornton wrote:
I'd argue that neither usage is "primary", and therefore the best
solution is actually to have three classes (neutral, additive, and
multiplicative) with two functors (additive->neutral,
multiplicative->neutral) to connect them[1].[...]

[1] the Exp/Log isomorphism between additive and multiplicative are not
considered here, as there are good arguments both for using newtypes and
for not using them.

Of course, I mean "functor" in the category theoretic sense (monoid homomorphisms, in this case). Not in the type class sense, per se (though all newtypes are/can be Functors).

--
Live well,
~wren