Random fact: Data.Map.insertWith' exists. Data.IntMap.insertWith' does *not*
exist.

The containers library is a mess.

I'm inclined to agree.

In particular, I get strange looks from people in the OOP community when I say I'm using a language that doesn't have any abstractions at all for dealing polymorphically with containers. In general, it's almost impossible to write a Haskell function that will work with a list, an (immutable) array, a hash table or a map, polymorphically.

I guess it's the case that containers has been there so long now that changing it would break everything. Still, I find myself hungry for something better.

Than again, the Prelude itself leaves several things to be desired...