On 2011 May 23, at 14:29, Anthony Cowley wrote:

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Jacek Generowicz
<jacek.generow...@cern.ch> wrote:

On 2011 May 23, at 13:45, Anthony Cowley wrote:
As for the platform, if it is giving you trouble, don't shy away from just using GHC and cabal as normal! After you've cabal installed a few
big packages, you will find that you've acquired many of the most
popular packages.

If by "cabal install" you mean use the command "cabal" ... yeah, that would be great, if only I could install cabal-install, which fails. Or do you mean
"manual install" of Cabal packages? Either way, I'm not making much
progress.

What I do is get GHC installed, then download the cabal-install
package from hackage and use the bootstrap.sh installer it comes with.
Then you can use the cabal executable to install packages as you go.

Been there, done that, got the crashes :-(

I've had the pleasure of watching the bootstrap.sh crash a number of times now.