On 06/06/11 15:57, Daniel Peebles wrote:
Isn't gcc just used for its assembler and object file creation, these
days, now that via-C is deprecated? Or are there other parts of it that
are needed?

The C compiler is needed to support foreign export and foreign import "wrapper", and we also generate C fragments for some initialisation code now (in 7.2.1) as part of some changes I made to the way module initialisation is done. The C compiler is also used to support -rtsopts, which requires compiling a small C file and linking it into the binary.

It's sometimes handy to be able to compile C files with GHC, if you're not using Cabal.

Cheers,
        Simon

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wall...@me.com
<mailto:malcolm.wall...@me.com>> wrote:

    On 6 Jun 2011, at 13:49, Lyndon Maydwell wrote:

     > I would be fantastic if XCode wasn't a dependency.  ...
     >
     > Not to detract at all from the work of the wonderful GHC and Haskell
     > Platform contributors in any way. For me it would just make it that
     > much easier to convince mac-using friends to give Haskell a try.

    The ghc team already bundle a copy of gcc in their Windows
    distribution, precisely because it can be fiddly to get a working
    copy of gcc for that platform otherwise.  I wonder if they would
    consider the possibility of shipping gcc on Mac too?  (There may be
    good reasons not to do that, but let's have the discussion.)

    Regards,
        Malcolm