Oh, Chris, here's a line for your splay sort:

splay   0.636   2.625   0.952   -       0.603   2.698   -       3.582   5.731   2.350
 -

BTW, I don't think the test program does the right thing.  It prints
the last element of the sorted list, but there is nothing that
says that computing this forces the list to be completely sorted.
When I test sort routines I always do something like printing the
sum of the sorted list.
Furthermore (while I'm in a whining mode :-), taking the median
of several runs is not the accepted wisdom.  You should take the
minimum of several runs.

        -- Lennart