Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Because parsing
> of infix operators is difficult, all implementations (to my knowledge)
> leave resolution of fixity and associativity until later.  Indeed, the
> Haskell 98 standard recognises this (in an oblique way) by permitting
> infix decls to appear *after* the first use.

Hbc does the resolution while parsing, which means it cannot be
Haskell 98 compliant.  I really dislike the new rules about where infix
can occur since they don't really buy us anything, but they do force
a more complicated implementation.

(Just as an aside.  Local infix declarations, which was just
added to Haskell 98, was very high on the list of design mistakes
in SML and will be removed in ML2000.)

--

        -- Lennart