Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> | - Does other Haskell implementations (ghc, nhc, hbc, ...)
> |   would provide this extension in next releases? (This way,
> |   even been an extension, my system would be portable)
>
> Jeff Lewis is well advanced with adding functional dependencies
> into GHC; I believe that he plans then to add dynamic scopes, which
> are elegantly expressed in terms of functional dependencies.

I'll quibble a little: implicit parameters can be implemented elegantly
by borrowing some of the mechanism of functional dependencies.  Thus,
I'm implementing FDs in GHC first, then adding implicit parameters.  But
it's not the case that once you have functional dependencies, you've got
implicit parameters for free.

--Jeff