[Hopefully not off-topic wrt Haskell]

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Look at the popularity of PERL
> >> for example.  That is one thing I will never understand.
> I'm sure I will get flamed to a crisp for this, but...
> I think PERL can be quite nice when you want a quick hack that will do
> something useful.

Another reason for the popularity of Perl is that it's _popular_ &
_ubiquitous_. Although I like Haskell and some other languages (e.g.,
Mathematica, python, even C++) more than Perl, when I want to produce
something that I hope other people in my lab will use/contribute fixes to,
Perl's what I use (with much swearing & looking up in the manual). There's
only a few machines with a Haskell system available on them, whereas
everything has a Perl interpreter installed, and few people who are
comfortable with the language.

Of course, what can be done to help the start an epidemic
`infecting' people & machines with Haskell I don't know...

www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~tweed/pi.htm     Farenheit 451 is the temperature at
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] which paper burns. Let's do an experiment to
work tel: (0117) 954-5253 see what temperature melts human brain cells.