Marc van Dongen wrote:
> Do you have any data about comparisons with this or
> other packages?
I've just looked around Dave Rusin's page:
   http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/index/11YXX.html
but it doesn't seem to contain any up-to-date comparisons; in
particular not of GMP 3.  There are two things in favour of
LIP:
(1) it has the magic name of "Lenstra" attached to it
    (Arjen in this case).
(2) I believe it will be better than GMP 2 for integers with
    thousands of digits or more because it implements FFT
    multiplication (or something similar).  But I can't remember
    for sure.  However if GMP now implements Toom-Cook that
    should make a big difference here.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.  But there is unlikely to be a simple
answer to the question "Does LIP or GMP multiply numbers fastest?";
it will depend on how big the numbers are, what platform you are using,
and how much difficult the interface is to use.  (GMP is faster if
you use the mpn_ functions, but then you have to do all your own
allocation and only get non-negative integers.)