Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:19:08 +0400 (MSD), S.D.Mechveliani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> pisze:

> I have an impression that Haskell-98 calls `Integral' various models
> for the domain of integer numbers. And this is for  Haskell-98'.
> While the good standard of future (I hope for Haskell-2) has, to my
> mind, to remove Integral and introduce GCDRing, FactorizationRing,
> EuclideanRing, Field  - see
>              http://www.botik.ru/pub/local/Mechveliani/basAlgPropos/

Why I don't like this proposal:

- It's too complicated.

- Relies on controversial type system features, like undecidable
  instances and overlapping instances.

- Relies on type system features that are not implemented and it's
  not clear if they can be correctly designed or implemented at all,
  like "domain conversions".

- Has many instances that should not exist because the relevant type
  does not have the class property; they return Nothing or fail,
  instead of failing to compile.

- Properties like commutativity cannot be specified in Haskell.
  The compiler won't be able to automatically perform any optimizations
  based on commutativity.

- belongs is strange. IMHO it should always return True for valid
  arguments, and invalid arguments should be impossible to construct
  if the validity can be checked at all.

- Tries to turn a compiled language into an interpreted language.
  FuncExpr, too much parsing (with arbitrary rules hardwired into
  the language), too much runtime checks.

- It's too complicated.

- It's not true that it's "not necessary to dig into mathematics".
  I studied mathematics and did not have that much of algebra.

- I perfer minBound to looking at element under Just under Just under
  tuple of osetBounds.

- Uses ugly character and string arguments that tune the behavior,
  e.g. in syzygyGens, divRem, canFr. I like Haskell98's divMod+quotRem
  better.

- Uses unneeded sample arguments, e.g. in toEnum, zero, primes, read.

- Have I said that it's too complicated?

--
 __("<    Marcin Kowalczyk * [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/